- 3 tablespoons ghee or avocado oil
- 4 small leeks, (white and light green parts only, cleaned and sliced.)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 bunches asparagus, (about 4 pounds, chopped (woody ends removed and discarded))
- 3 garlic cloves, (chopped)
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken broth ((Veggie-Herb on page 38, Chicken Broth on page 40 in Paleo Soups & Stews))
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper ((omit for AIP))
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, (about 2 limes)
- strips of lime zest (for garnish, optional)
- Heat the ghee in a large pot over medium heat. When the ghee is melted, add the leeks and salt and sweat for 5 minutes, or until the leeks begin to soften. Add the asparagus and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes
- Add the broth and cayenne pepper and cook until the asparagus is soft, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the lime juice.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender of with an immersion blender until smooth. Season to taste with additional cayenne pepper and/or lime juice, if desired.
- Garnish with strips of lime zest, if using.