Carrot cake that’s so good, no one will know it’s gluten-free! Complete with the perfect cream cheese frosting.
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or avocado oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- 2 cups finely ground almond flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch (or arrowroot)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 2 cups grated carrots (about 1 pound)
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 12 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a jelly roll pan and line it with parchment paper. Grease the parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, maple syrup, and coconut oil until well mixed.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the dry ingredients – almond flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and then stir in the carrots.
- Spread into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes*, or until the top bounces back when you lightly press it. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
To make the frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Gradually add the sifted powder sugar, mixing on slow until there’s no more dry sugar. Add the vanilla and beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Once the cake is completely cool, cut the cake as desired, and frost.
*If using a sheet pan instead of a jelly roll pan, check the doneness after 12 minutes.
**You don’t need an actual sifter for this, just shake /stir it through a fine mesh sieve.
Keywords: carrot cake