A perfect salad for fall and winter
- 1 delicata squash (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 tablespoon avocado or light olive oil
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- 1 large firm-ripe pear, (cored and thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons toasted salted pepitas
- 4–5 tablespoons maple dijon vinaigrette *
For the Delicata Squash:
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Slice off one end of the squash and scoop out the seeds with a long spoon (alternately, you can use a narrow knife). Thinly slice the squash, aiming for about 1/8-inch thick.
- Toss the sliced squash with the oil and a pinch of salt on the rimmed baking sheet. Spread out so they’re in one layer and roast for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown in parts and tender. Check on them after 10 minutes or so, in case they need to be moved around or are browning quickly.
To assemble the salad:
- place the arugula on a large platter. Top with piles of the roasted squash, fanned out pear slices, the pomegranate arils, blue cheese, and pepitas.
- Drizzle with the dressing and serve.
Make-Ahead: The squash can be roasted 2-3 days before serving. The dressing can be made a week ahead. If bringing to a party, wait to dress it until you’re ready to serve.
* For the Maple Dijon Vinaigrette, click HERE