Quite possibly the perfect party bite!
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, (about 3 medium, peeled and grated)
- 1 medium onion, (about 1/2 pound, grated)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 2 tablespoons everything bagel blend
- about 1/2 cup oil oil for frying
- Cream cheese
- Smoked salmon
- snipped chives
- everything bagel blend
- In the insert of a salad spinner, toss the grated potato and onion with the salt. Set it aside for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, dump out any liquid that has gathered in the bowl of the spinner and spin the potato and onion several times, dumping out the liquid as it gathers. When you spin it and not much liquid is released, you’ll know that you have gotten enough moisture out of them to proceed.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cassava flour, and everything blend. Add the potato mixture and mix to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with a cooling rack. Turn your oven on warm for keeping the latkes as you fry them.
- Heat half the the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. You want there to be a good layer of oil in the pan, but you’re not deep frying here. Form the potato mixture into mini latkes, squeezing out any excess liquid as you form them.
- Once shimmering, fry the latkes in batches, about 2 minutes per side. Add more oil as needed. Transfer to the the baking sheet and keep in the oven while you cook the rest.
- Top with cream cheese, salmon, chives, dill, and a sprinkle of everything blend. If serving at a party that has guests with different dietary needs, it’s nice to make them in a variety of ways; some with no salmon, some with no cream cheese, so each guest can eat what works for them.
You can sometimes find Everything Bagel Blend at Trader joes, and even better, you can order the Balanced Bites version!