for the filling:
- 4 cups fruit ((diced if applicable*))
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch ((or arrowroot))
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt ((I use Redmond kosher sea salt))
for the topping:
- 4 ounces / about 1 cup pecans **
- 2 ounces / about 1/2 cup shelled pistachios **
- 1/2 cup almond flour or meal
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar OR coconut sugar OR maple sugar
- 1/4 cup / 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, (diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
To make the filling:
- combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and stir to coat. Pour into an 8×8 baking dish.
To make the topping:
- In the bowl of your food processor, pulse the nuts 8-10 times, or until they’re mostly finely minced
- Add the almond flour, sugar, butter, salt, and cinnamon and give it another 10-12 long pulses, or until the butter is incorporated and the mixture starts to clump up just a little bit.
- Sprinkle the topping over the fruit.
- Bake at 350ºF for 25 – 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the inside is bubbly
*most fruit will work here, so use whatever is in season and that you have a lot of! I used one peach, one nectarine, and 2 cups of blueberries. If using harder fruits like apples and pears, slice them thinly so they cook evenly with the topping. **These are the nuts I used, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand!