one bowl + 10 minutes = fresh bread
recipe can be scaled easily.
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt or dairy-free yogurt
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch or arrowroot starch (plus more if needed and for flouring the surface)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter, ghee, or oil
- In a medium bowl, Whisk together the yogurt, egg white and honey until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, tapioca starch, salt and baking soda. Stir into a smooth dough, adding more tapioca starch if necessary to achieve a smooth, workable but still soft dough. You want it to be just past the point of sticky.
- On a floured surface, divide the dough into 4 sections and press each one into an oblong shape, getting it as thin as possible. Using parchment when working with sticky dough can make it easier.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat and add about 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Once it melts, add two of the flatbreads and cook for 1 1/2 – 2 minutes per side, or until browned and puffy. While it cooks on the first side, place a few small pats of butter onto the top, so when you flip it, the second side gets buttered. Transfer to a plate to keep warm and repeat with the remaining flatbreads.
If doubling the recipe, use one whole egg instead of one egg white.
Keywords: gluten-free flatbread, gluten-free naan, yeast-free flatbread