gluten-free matzo balls, no gluten-free matzo required.
- salted water or chicken broth, for boiling the matzo balls
- 1/2–3/4 cup cassava flour* (whisk before measuring)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon schmaltz, avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill, or 1 teaspoon dried (optional)
- In a large pot, bring the water or chicken broth to a boil over high heat.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients: cassava flour, eggs, schmaltz or oil, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and dill, if using.
- Drop the dough into the water or broth, about 1 tablespoon at a time, using a small cookie scoop or two spoons.
- Cook over high heat until the float to the surface, about 1-2 minutes, and then allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Serve in piping hot chicken soup.
Bubbe’s tip: Overcooking these can make them dense and heavier, If you want them to stay fluffy, keep the cooking time short and sweet!
*Start with a 1/2 cup of cassava flour, and add a bit more if necessary, to get them scoopable. You want it to be like thick cake batter, not quite solid or they will be dense.
Keywords: matzo balls