You won’t believe how much flavor you can get from a dish in such a short amount of time!
- 8 chicken drumsticks ((you can use thighs if you prefer))
- 2 tablespoons Berbere spice, (divided)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup ghee, butter or avocado oil (butter or avocado oil)
- 1 large onion, (minced )
- 5 cloves garlic, (minced)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth (veggie broth, or water)
- 4 hard boiled eggs, (halved )
- 2 tablespoons 2 lime juice
- In a large bowl, toss chicken with the salt and 1 tablespoon of the Berbere. Set aside.
- Turn your Instant Pot on Sauté. Once hot, add the ghee,onion,garlic and ginger. Sauté for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until golden brown and softened.
- Add the tomato paste and remaining tablespoon of Berbere. Stir into the onion mixture and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken broth and scrape up any bits that have stuck to the bottom. Add the chicken legs.
- Cancel the sauté function and secure the lid to your Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before venting and opening the lid.
- Stir in the lime juice. Serve in shallow bowls over rice or cauliflower “rice”, with a hard boiled egg in each bowl.
Berbere spice can be found in any good spice section, or at your favorite spice market.