This kale salad is easy, fresh, and just might convert some kale haters.
for the pepitas:
- 1 tablespoon citrus juice (orange, lemon, lime, whatever you’ve got)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar or coconut sugar (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups raw pumpkin seeds
for the kale salad:
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar or other mild vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 bunches lacinato kale, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 2–3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 mangoes, diced
- 1/2 cup spiced pepitas
- a big pinch of salt
- To make the pepitas: Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl to coat, spread on a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake at 375ºF for about 5 minutes, until golden brown and puffed up.
- In a small bowl, combine the sliced shallots with the vinegar and lime juice. Set aside while you prep the rest of the salad.
- In a large bowl, massage the kale with the olive oil with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil for 3-5 minutes, or until it’s softened and broken down a bit. If it’s on the dry side, add an additional tablespoon of olive oil. (This might be necessary if your bunches of kale are on the larger side.)
- Mix in the reserved shallot and liquid, mango, and a big pinch of salt. Toss to combine and taste for seasoning.
Store extra spiced pepitas in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: kale salad, kale salad with mango