the best lemon bars, that happen to be paleo and nut-free!
for the crust:
- 1 cup / 140 grams Otto’s Naturals cassava flour ((if not weighing, whisk your flour before scooping))
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest ((make sure to zest before juicing!))
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, (or cold ghee or palm shortening)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg white ((reserve the yolk for the filling))
for the filling:
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 whole eggs
- ½ cup lemon juice, or lime, or a combo ((make sure to zest before juicing!))
- 1 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons Otto’s Naturals cassava flour
- powdered sugar for dusting, (optional)
Make the Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF and grease an 8×8 baking dish. Line with parchment paper and then grease the parchment. (see photos below)
- In the bowl of your food processor, pulse the cassava flour, lemon zest, and sea salt a couple of times to mix.
- Add the butter and pulse 8-10 times, or until the mixture is the texture of coarse crumbs.
- Add the honey and egg white and turn it on for a few seconds, so the mixture just starts to come together. Scrape down the sides and turn on again, until the mixture comes together into a ball. (Alternately, if you don’t have a food processor, you can cut in the butter with a pastry cutter and mix in the remaining ingredients by hand.)
- Press the dough into the prepared pan, bringing the sides up about an inch.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until it’s just dry to the touch.
Meanwhile make the filling:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the filling ingredients.
- Make sure the filling is well blended, and then pour the filling into the warm par-baked crust. Return to the oven for 18-22 minutes, until just set.
- Allow to cool completely before using the parchment to pull it out of the pan. Cut as desired and dust with powdered sugar, if using.