- ¼ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon ghee or butter ((see note))
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- coarse sea salt, such as Maldon
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spread the nuts and pumpkin seeds on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast until fragrant and the pumpkin seeds puff up a bit, about 4-5 minutes.
- Set the nuts and pumpkin seeds aside, and line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small sauce pan, Combine the maple syrup, ghee, and cream of tartar. Once it’s warm, whisk to combine. Heat until it reaches 290ºF on a candy thermometer. Refrain from stirring while it heats, as this can cause crystals to form. This will probably take 10-15 minutes depending on your stove.
- Quickly stir in the nuts, pumpkin seeds, and cinnamon. Pour out onto the prepared baking sheet, working quickly to spread it as thinly as possible with a wooden spoon- it hardens up fast! Sprinkle with a liberal amount of salt.
- Allow to cool completely before breaking it into pieces. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
For this recipe, you will need a candy thermometer
Tin Star Foods Brown Butter ghee is my first choice!