This paleo and nut-free tart uses grapefruit two ways: A sweet-tart grapefruit curd, and fresh, juicy segments on top.
For the Crust:
- 1 cup cassave flour
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon maple syrup
For the filling:
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 cup fresh grapefruit juice (make sure to zest first)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or ghee
- 1 teaspoon grapefruit zest
- 2–3 grapefruits, cut into supremes (see photos)
To make the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF
- Combine the cassava flour, olive oil, water, and maple syrup in a medium bowl and mix to omcbine well.
- Press into a 9-inch tart pan and poke all over with a fork.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
To make the filling:
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the water and set aside.
- In a medium bowl over a pot of simmering water, whisk together the grapefruit juice, eggs, and honey. Continue whisking until the mixture is thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the gelatin, butter, and grapefruit zest. Whisk until the butter is melted and incorporated.
- Pour the custard into the prepared tart crust and refrigerate until set, about 90 minutes.
- While the filling is setting, cut your grapefruit segments and set them aside on a few layers of paper towels to absorb the excess moisture. Once the filling is firm, arrange the segments on top.
Placing your tart pan on a rimmed baking sheet will make it easier to move in and out of the oven. I recommend using Otto’s Naturals Cassava Flour
Keywords: grapefruit tart