- 3 large or 4 small yellow plantains, (about 2–2.5 pounds before peeling *)
- 1/3 cup egg whites, (about 2 eggs worth)
- 3 tablespoons lard or coconut oil, (melted (I highly recommend lard if you have it!))
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Peel and chop your plantains and place in a food processor.
- Puree until somewhat pureed, and then add the melted lard, egg whites, salt and lime juice. Puree until smooth.
- Drop about 2 tablespoons at a time onto a baking sheet lined with a lightly greased sheet of parchment paper, 4 per standard baking sheet (spaced as shown above)
- Smooth into a circle with the bottom of a ladle, getting as thin as possible, switching to wet fingers once the ladle stops being efficient.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until dry to the touch, and just starting to brown on the edges.
These tortillas store, freeze, and reheat beautifully. Reheat them over a gas flame for 20 seconds on each side, turning as needed, or in the oven or on a grill.