- 1 large English cucumber
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 scallions, (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Slice the cucumber as thinly as possible, preferably using a mandoline.
- In a colander, toss the sliced cucumber with the salt and place in the sink or over a bowl. Allow to sit for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, sesame oil, fish sauce, scallions, and cilantro in a medium bowl.
- After 30 minutes, transfer the cucumbers to the bowl with the dressing- Use your hands to do this, squeezing and discarding any extra liquid from the cucumbers as you go.
- Mix the cucumbers into the dressing. If serving right away, stir in the sesame seeds. If not, refrigerate and stir in the sesame seeds just before serving*
- Season to taste with additional salt, fish sauce, or sesame oil.
*This salad is good right away, but even better after being refrigerated for several hours or overnight. Either way, strain excess liquid before stirring in the sesame seeds.