For the cake:
- 1/2 cup butter, plus more for greasing the pan, softened (see note)
- 1/4 cup sugar (or coconut sugar should work)
- 3 eggs, at room temp (see note)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 large)
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the salted caramel glaze:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cream
- pinch salt
- flaky salt
- Butter an 8×11 baking pan and preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until lighter and fluffy. Add the eggs, beating after each addition. Beat in the bananas and vanilla extract until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix until just incorporated.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through.
When the cake is done, prepare the caramel:
- In a large sauce pan, bring the butter, sugar, cream and a pinch of salt to a boil. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until a couple shades darker in color.
- Remove from the heat and immediately pour over the cake, spreading it out as quickly as you can. It will harden the moment it cools.
- Sprinkle with a generous amount of flaky salt.
If your eggs are cold, simply place them in a bowl of very warm water for 15 minutes before using.
If your butter isn’t soft, great news! You can take out your rage while softening it. Just put it between two sheets of parchment paper and whack the crap out of it with a rolling pin.
Keywords: banana cake, banana snacking cake