- 1 sprig basil ((about 5 leaves))
- 3 strawberries
- 1.5 ounces (1 jigger) lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1.5 ounces (1 jigger) tequila, either gold or silver ((I love Espolòn))
- 1 tablespoon simple syrup, (recipe follows)
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon raw turbinado sugar
- lime wedge (strawberry, and basil sprig, for garnish)
- On a small plate, combine the coarse salt and sugar. Run the lime wedge garnish around the edge of the glass, and then turn the glass upside down onto the salt mixture, coating the rim. Set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the basil, strawberries and lime and lemon juices. Add the tequila along with a small handful of ice and shake well for 30 seconds or so.
- Strain over ice (I like using a large ice cube so it doesn’t get watered down right away), and garnish with a lime wedge, strawberry, and sprig of basil.
To Make Simple Syrup:
Dissolve 1/4 cup honey in 1/4 cup boiling water. Allow to cool. Store in a jar in the fridge.