- 3–3.5 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup orange juice (from about 2 small oranges)
- In the insert of your Instant Pot, combine all of the ingredients: cubed pork shoulder, garlic, salt, cumin, cinnamon, bay leaves and orange juice. Mix it all up. (Your hands are the best tool here)
- Make sure the seal is in place and lock on the lid. Set the seal to sealing and cook at high pressure for 40 minutes.
- After the time is up, hit cancel, and allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before turning the vent to venting. Preheat the broiler. Set a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and transfer the pork to the strainer. Once the pork is drained, spread out on a rimmed baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes. Flip the pork and broil for another 3-5 minutes, or until it is golden brown and crispy in parts.
- Skim the fat off the cooking liquid and stir some back into the pork, if desired. It’s good to reserve it to store leftover carnitas in it, so it doesn’t dry out.
Keywords: instant pot carnitas