Sweet, Savory & Salty – the perfect late summer salad!
- 6 cups watermelon, (about 1/2 of a small watermelon)
- 1 cup sliced cucumber, (about 2 Persians, I used half an Armenian cucumber, you could use half an English cucumber as well)
- about 3 tablespoons very thinly sliced red onion*
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces feta, (crumbled (about 1/2 cup))
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sumac, (optional**)
- Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl and stir gently to combine.
*If raw onions taste too strong to you, while you prep the rest of the ingredients do this: In a small bowl, combine the sliced onion with 1 tablespoon lime juice and 3 tablespoons hot water. Once the other salad ingredients are all in the bowl and ready to be mixed, discard and strain the liquid and add the onions.
**I love the addition of sumac in this salad and strongly recommend you order some from Oaktown Spice Shop, which has the best, freshest spices I’ve ever had. (I am not paid to say this, it’s just my honest opinion) If you choose to ignore my excellent advice, you can simply omit the sumac. 😉