- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 (4 tablespoons) cup softened butter*, plus more for greasing the pan
- 4 eggs, at room temperature*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch + 1 tablespoon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces fruit, chopped if applicable (about 2 heaping cups once chopped) **
- Heat your oven to 350ºF and butter an 8×8 baking dish.
- Using beaters or a stand mixer, beat the sugar and butter until lighter in color, scraping down the sides as needed. Add the eggs, beating after each addition, and then mix in the vanilla.
- Add the almond flour, 1/2 cup of the tapioca starch, baking soda and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Toss the fruit with 1 tablespoon of tapioca starch and then fold into the batter. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown on top and springs back when you lightly press it. Allow to cool before slicing.
- If you are impulse baking and your butter and eggs are cold, here’s how to remedy that:
EGGS: Place them in a bowl filled with warm water for 10-15 minutes, changing the water out half way through if it becomes cold.
BUTTER: Set the butter between two sheets of parchment paper and beat the crap out of it with a rolling pin. You’ll get it soft and get some rage out while you’re at it.
- Fruit: I used strawberries, blueberries, and cherries but this cake can be made with whatever fruit you have.