creamy (yes, really!) dairy-free chocolate ice cream
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 ¼ cups coconut sugar
- 10 egg yolks (preferably pastured eggs)
- ¼ t salt
- ¾ C cacao powder
- 2 T cognac
- 1 T + 1 t vanilla extract
- Soak the cashews in 2 cups of filtered water for 30 minutes, then blend for one minute, or until very smooth.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks, salt, and coconut sugar until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is creamy.
- After blending the cashew milk, transfer to a medium sauce pan and add the cacao powder, whisk to combine and heat over medium-low heat or until steaming. Stir constantly to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Pour one ladle (about 4 ounces) of the steaming milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Stir, and then slowly pour the warmed yolks into the pan.
- Heat over low heat for 2-3 minutes, or until thickened. Once it is the consistency of warm pudding, pour the custard into a clean bowl set inside an ice bath.
- Stir until cool and then add the cognac and vanilla extract.
- At this point, you can either continue to cool the custard in the fridge for several hours or until very cold. OR you can be impatient like me, and continue to stir it in the ice bath until it’s very cold.
- Transfer to an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Keywords: dairy-free chocolate ice cream