- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light or dark brown sugar (see note)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) chopped dark chocolate (I used a combination of bittersweet and semi sweet)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, blend 1 cup of the oats with the tapioca starch until it’s finely ground into a flour.
- Add the remaining cup of oats along with the baking soda and salt and pulse 3-4 times to roughly chop the oats.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, or a large bowl if using hand beaters, cream the butter and sugars until it’s lighter in color and aerated. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients and the chocolate and stir just until combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop (about a heaping tablespoon in volume), drop 6 cookies on each baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until evenly golden brown. Allow to cool before removing from the pan- they will continue to crisp up.
- Repeat with the remaining dough. You can slide the cookies off the baking pans with the parchment after a minute or two out of the oven.
To make brown sugar: beat together 1 cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon molasses until combined. For dark brown sugar, use 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses for each cup of sugar.
Keywords: oatmeal cookies