- 12 ounces about 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup honey (or maple syrup or cane sugar for a vegan version))
- 1/2 cup fresh mandarin juice (or orange, tangerine, etc))
- 1 teaspoon mandarin zest, (plus additional for garnish, optional)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 whole star anise, (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer.
- Once the cranberries start to pop, turn the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries have all popped and the mixture has turned into a chunky sauce, about 20-25 minutes. If it gets too thick, add a little water. Pluck out the star anise.
- Allow to cool completely before serving. Garnish with additional mandarin zest, if desired.
Adjust the amount of sweetener depending on how sweet you prefer it- 1/2 cup will be closer to traditional cranberry sauce but will still have some tartness, 1/4 will be on the very tart side.