creamy and garlicky and as good as your favorite steakhouse
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (gluten-free, pork panko, or homemade)
- pinch + 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch black pepper
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- pinch nutmeg
- 2 big bunches Swiss chard, (about 12 stalks, or 1.5 pounds) roughly chopped and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cream cheese or dairy-free cream cheese
- In a large, high sides skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add the breadcrumbs, a pinch of salt, garlic powder, and a few turns of black pepper. Stir until browned, about 2 minutes. (This will vary depending on how toasty your breadcrumbs were to begin with) Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe out the pan and return to the heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the shallots and cook for about 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, the minced garlic and nutmeg and cook for another 30 seconds, or until golden and fragrant.
- Add the rinsed chard, with some of the moisture still clinging to its leaves, to the pan. Cook until wilted, stirring occasionally, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and cream cheese and stir until smooth.
- Top with the breadcrumbs right before serving.
Keywords: creamed chard