Classic Fettuccine Alfredo, made gluten-free and lactose-free.
- 4 tablespoons butter ((or ghee if you can’t tolerate the lactose in butter))
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- pinch ground cloves ((scant 1/8 teaspoon))
- pinch ground nutmeg ((scant 1/8 teaspoon))
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 2 cups non-GMO Clover Lactose-Free Whole Milk, (warmed)
- 8–9 ounces gluten-free dried fettuccine, (cooked about 80% (reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid))
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan Reggiano
- handful flat-leaf parsley, (minced)
- Heat a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Once it’s melted, stir in the shallots. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly browned and softened.
- Stir in the salt, black pepper, cloves, and nutmeg. Cook for about another minute, until very fragrant.
- Add in the arrowroot starch and continue to cook for another 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the milk and half the pasta water. Once it’s steaming, add the pasta. Cook until it’s al dente and the sauce is thickened, about 2-3 minutes. If the sauce it too stiff, add a little bit of the remaining pasta water at a time to get the consistency right- it should be rich and creamy and cling to the pasta, but not be so thick that it causes the pasta to stick together.
- Toss in the parmesan and parsley and serve immediately.