one skillet + 10 minutes = a complete and delicious pasta dinner
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, (about 1 cup sliced)
- 4 ounces pancetta, (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 12 ounces gluten-free ziti or rotini* ((I used Trader Joe’s brown rice ziti))
- 1 pound large shrimp, (about 20–25 per pound, thawed if frozen)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, (optional)
- In a large, high sided skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Stir in the shallots and pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are golden brown and the pancetta is crispy, about 4-6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a small bowl, leaving as much of the fat in the pan as possible.
- Add the water, pasta, and salt. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring often, until the pasta is about 75% cooked, and the water has mostly reduced into a sauce, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and the peas and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the shrimp is cooked and the pasta is al dente. Stir in the reserved shallots and pancetta.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese, if using.
*Make sure to choose a pasta made from rice or other starchy ingredients for this recipe to work. Look for white or brown rice pastas that have a 7-10 minute cooking time.