This simple stir fry is even better than takeout, and almost as fast.
1/3 cup fresh orange juice + 3 strips orange peel (see note)
1/3 cup coconut aminos
1 tablespoon fish sauce (I like Red Boat)
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup roasted salted cashews
1 teaspoon tapioca starch
1 small onion
1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets (about 3 cups florets)
rice or cauliflower rice, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine the orange juice, coconut aminos, fish sauce, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Set aside while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cashews and orange peels and cook until they’re deep golden brown and fragrant. Remove with a slotted spoon to a small bowl and set aside. Discard the orange peels.
- Set a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl and drain the chicken from the marinade, stirring it around to get it as dry as possible.
- Set the pan back on the burner and heat to high. Add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes, turning occasionally, until it’s lightly browned on each side, about 4-5 minutes. While the chicken is cooking, whisk the tapioca starch into the marinade.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and place it back in the marinade.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan and add the onions and broccoli. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the onions are browned and softened, and the broccoli is about 2/3 of the way cooked (starting to brown, bright green, starting to soften)
- Stir the chicken back into the pan. Continue to cook until the sauce has boiled for at least two minutes, and the chicken is cooked through.
- Top with the toasted cashews and serve over rice or cauliflower rice.
- Before juicing the oranges, use a vegetable peeler to remove 3 strips of peel. Try to get mostly peel, but some pith is fine.
- The tapioca starch will thicken the sauce a bit, but if you would rather omit it, that’s fine.
Keywords: orange cashew chicken stir fry