This super simple, absolutely perfect tomato soup wants to be your go-to tomato soup recipe.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- a big pinch of sea salt
- 2 roasted red peppers (about 1 cup / 1/2 a 16-ounce jar)
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth (or use veggie broth to make it vegetarian)
- 1 cup heavy cream (or your favorite dairy-free alternative)
- handful basil leaves
- black pepper, optional
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions. garlic and a good pinch of salt, and sauté for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and softened.
- Add the peppers, tomatoes, and chicken broth and turn the heat up to high. Boil for 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Stir in the cream, and puree in batches, adding the basil to the blender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired.
For a dairy-free version, use full fat coconut milk, oat milk, cashew cream, or your favorite dairy-free milk.
Keywords: tomato soup