Why should beef have all the taco filling fun? These spicy lamb tacos are here to spice up your taco Tuesday.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4–5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 jalapeño, sliced, seeds left in for some heat, or removed for a milder option
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- thinly sliced cabbage tossed with lime juice and cilantro (measure with your heart)
- lime wedges
- guacamole or avocado slices
- sour cream
- corn tortillas, flour tortillas, plantain tortillas, or your favorite grain-free option
- Heat a large skillet over over medium-high heat and add the oil. Once shimmering, add the onions garlic and jalapeño. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, until browned and softened.
- Remove the onions etc to a medium bowl.
- Add the lamb to the skillet and break it up as much as possible with a spatula. Cook until browned and not much pink remains, and then remove with a slotted spoon to the bowl with the onions. Discard all but 1 teaspoon of the fat. And return the skillet to the burner over medium heat.
- Return the lamb and onions to the pan and add spices (smoked paprika, chipotle, coriander, cumin, salt, oregano, cinnamon and cloves), and cook another minute or so, until the spices are fragrant. Stir in the lime juice and apple cider vinegar. Cook until mostly evaporated but still a tiny bit saucy.
- Taste for seasoning and add more chipotle if you want more heat, apple cider vinegar if you want more acid.
Keywords: spicy lamb tacos