Ground lamb is typically destined for some kind of Mediterranean inspired dish in my kitchen, but this week I mixed it up a bit. I’m glad I did! These spicy lamb tacos are officially going into the rotation. They’re packed with flavor and come together fast – what’s not to love?
spicy lamb tacos are here to spice up your taco night.
The flavor combination of this taco filling is based on my Instant Pot Barbacoa, which is another one of my favorites. If you’re thinking lamb and tacos don’t mix, that’s probably just because you live in the US, where lamb (and goat) aren’t as commonly eaten as beef is. You might be surprised at how much you love the flavor of this taco filling!
What you need to make spicy lamb tacos:
- ground lamb (I buy almost all of my meat from Belcampo – use coupon code zenbelly10 to save 10%)
- spices: cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, chipotle, oregano, cinnamon and clove
- lime juice
- apple cider vinegar
Serve these spicy lamb tacos with guacamole, sour cream, and shredded cabbage tossed with cilantro and lime juice. Or: go street taco style and simply throw some diced onions and cilantro on top.
We ate these with store-bought corn tortillas, and thoroughly enjoyed them. But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t wishing I had made a batch of my flour tortillas – I have a feeling they’d be extra good with those.
How to make spicy lamb tacos:
- Sauté onion, garlic, and jalapeño.
- Brown ground lamb until it’s mostly cooked.
- Add spices.
- Finish with lime juice and apple cider vinegar.
Having a taco party? You’ll need some of these:
- easy flour tortillas
- never browns guacamole
- strawberry salsa
- plantain tortillas
- creamy cilantro lime dressing
- the very best queso
Why should beef have all the taco filling fun? These spicy lamb tacos are here to spice up your taco Tuesday.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4–5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 jalapeño, sliced, seeds left in for some heat, or removed for a milder option
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- thinly sliced cabbage tossed with lime juice and cilantro (measure with your heart)
- lime wedges
- guacamole or avocado slices
- sour cream
- corn tortillas, flour tortillas, plantain tortillas, or your favorite grain-free option
- Heat a large skillet over over medium-high heat and add the oil. Once shimmering, add the onions garlic and jalapeño. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, until browned and softened.
- Remove the onions etc to a medium bowl.
- Add the lamb to the skillet and break it up as much as possible with a spatula. Cook until browned and not much pink remains, and then remove with a slotted spoon to the bowl with the onions. Discard all but 1 teaspoon of the fat. And return the skillet to the burner over medium heat.
- Return the lamb and onions to the pan and add spices (smoked paprika, chipotle, coriander, cumin, salt, oregano, cinnamon and cloves), and cook another minute or so, until the spices are fragrant. Stir in the lime juice and apple cider vinegar. Cook until mostly evaporated but still a tiny bit saucy.
- Taste for seasoning and add more chipotle if you want more heat, apple cider vinegar if you want more acid.
Keywords: spicy lamb tacos
All of the links on zenbelly.com are for information purposes, however some are affiliate links to books, products or services. Any sponsored posts are clearly labelled as being sponsored content. Some ads on this site are served by ad networks and the advertised products are not necessarily recommended by Zenbelly.