Crispy Baked Wings without standing over a pot of hot oil? Yes, it’s possible!
- 2 teaspoons finely ground sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 pounds chicken wingettes and drumettes (for me, this was exactly 24 pieces) If starting with whole wings, shoot for 3 1/2 pounds. Save the tips for Broth!
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup hot wing sauce (Franks!)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 275ºF. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a baking rack.
- Pat the wings dry with paper towels. Don’t skip this step.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the salt, baking soda, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Toss in the wings, making sure they are evenly coated.
- Arrange the wings in the prepared pan, making sure not to crowd them.
- Cook for 30 minutes, and then crank up the heat to 500ºF
- Cook for another 15 minutes, then flip the wings and cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until they are crispy and golden brown.
- Allow them to rest for 5 minutes before tossing them with the sauce and serving with Blue Cheese or Ranch.
To make the sauce:
- In a small sauce pan, heat the wing sauce and butter over medium heat.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until it gets slightly reduced and thickened.