Hot honey is having a moment, and it deserves it. It’s the perfect thing to drizzle on so many foods. There are, of course, a multitude of ways to make it, ranging from 1-minute with chili flakes and hot sauce, to more like 90 minutes made with fresh or dried chiles. I will attempt a proper long simmer with fresh chiles some day, but for now, I was very happy with this 5 minute version.
hot honey in 5 minutes
I made this hot honey with a very specific application in mind – The BBQ Brisket Sandwich with apple-fennel slaw and hot honey on Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. The sandwich is for Rosh Hashanah, which happens to fall on Labor Day this year, so Jen of Predominantly Paleo and I brainstormed how to marry the two holidays.
For Rosh Hashanah, brisket, apples, and honey are pretty traditional, and for Labor Day, it’s gotta be a BBQ. I’m feeling like we really nailed it with this sammich!
And of course, once you make up a batch of this hot honey, you’ll probably find yourself drizzling it on all the things. I’m particularly on dousing some fried chicken with it.
Ingredients you’ll need to make hot honey:
- red pepper flakes or Aleppo pepper
- hot sauce, like Tabasco, Tapatio, or Cholula
How to make 5 minute hot honey:
- Combine all the ingredients in a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat so it’s just barely steaming and cook for 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool a bit and then pour into a jar. Store in the pantry.
Coming soon: Apple Fennel Slaw, and after that, Instant Pot BBQ Brisket. This is going to be one helluva sammich!Print
hot honey (in 5 minutes!)
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 cup
- Category: condiments and sauces
- 1 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (like Tabasco, Cholula, or Tapatio)
- Combine the honey, pepper flakes, and hot sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer.
- Turn down the heat so it’s just barely bubbling and cook for about 5 minutes. Allow to cool a bit before pouring into a jar (or smaller jars, if you’d like to give some as gifts!)
- Store in the pantry.
Keywords: hot honey, quick hot honey
All of the links on zenbelly.com are for information purposes, however some are affiliate links to books, products or services. Any sponsored posts are clearly labelled as being sponsored content. Some ads on this site are served by ad networks and the advertised products are not necessarily recommended by Zenbelly.
Leave a Reply