There are plenty of gluten-free crackers out there. Some are a bit dangerous to our expensive dental work, while some are no healthier than their gluten laden counter parts. But these grain-free everything crackers just might be the answer to your cracker prayers.
Not only are they paleo, but they couldn’t be simpler to throw together when you’re craving something crunchy, or are feeling nostalgic about your cracker eating days. These crackers are very reminiscent of an everything bagel, something this east coast Jewish girl misses once in a while…
Grain-Free Everything Crackers
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 16-20 minutes
yield: about 50 crackers
1 large egg (more if needed, see note)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup almond flour
1/2 cup arrowroot powder
1/4 cup combined seeds (sesame, poppy, black caraway, caraway)
1/4 teaspoon dried onion
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg with the olive oil.
- Stir in the almond flour, arrowroot powder, seeds, onion flakes, and salt and mix until the dough comes together. Give it a knead or two to make sure it’s well incorporated. (see note below if it’s too dry)
- Roll the dough out in-between two sheets or parchment paper to a thickkness of about 1/8 inch. Try and get it as close to a rectangle as possible.
- Remove the top sheep of parchment, and cut the dough into 1-inch squares with a sharp knife.
- Slide the bottom parchment with the cut dough onto a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the crackers begin to brown.
- Turn the heat down to 325ºF and bake for an additional 6-8 minutes, or until the crackers are crisp and light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before breaking the cookies apart. Store in an airtight container.
Note: If the dough is too dry to knead and roll out, beat an egg and add a little bit at a time until the dough is workable.
Now that you have crackers, you’re well on your way to fancy hors d’oeuvres! Here are some of my favorite additions:
- wild smoked salmon & chive creme fraîche
- chicken liver pâté and a slice of cornichon
- cream cheese and cucumber (my favorite childhood sandwich!) and a sprig of dill
PIN THIS RECIPE:
All of the links on zenbelly.com are for information purposes, however some are affiliate links to books, products or services. Any sponsored posts are clearly labelled as being sponsored content. Some ads on this site are served by ad networks and the advertised products are not necessarily recommended by Zenbelly.