This Instant Pot Chicken Tinga is another one in my series of freezer meals that I’m working on to make your (and my) life easier. These recipes are all ones that you can prep ahead of time, freeze, and plop in the Instant Pot once you’re ready to cook. Straight from the freezer, no thawing required!
Instant Pot Chicken Tinga is almost too easy to make. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Because of how the Instant Pot works, you don’t need to adjust the cooking time if you’re cooking from frozen. The time doesn’t start until the cooker comes up to pressure, and that won’t happen until things get very, very hot. So while the overall time might be longer since it will take slightly longer to come up to pressure, you don’t need to worry about adjusting time accordingly. Cool? Cool.
The obvious treatment of this Chicken Tinga is tacos, but it would also be great in a baked sweet or white potato*, over rice or cauliflower “rice”, or in lettuce leaves with taco fixings. Don’t forget the GUAC!
This flavor-packed Chicken Tinga takes about 5 minutes active time and under 20 minutes total.
- 1 14- ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes, (juices drained (see note))
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo plus 1 tablespoon of the sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, (peeled and left whole)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- queso fresco, cilantro, and diced onions (for serving, optional)
- In the insert of your Instant Pot, combine the diced tomatoes, chipotle pepper and sauce, garlic cloves, cumin, coriander, onion powder, and salt. Stir to combine. Add the chicken and coat with the sauce.
- Lock on the lid and turn the valve to sealing. Set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Once the time is up, turn the valve to venting and allow the pressure to release and the lid to unlock before removing it.
- Using tongs, remove the chicken to a plate and shred with two forks.
- Puree the sauce either with an immersion blender or by transferring to a blender. Mix in all or some of the sauce into the shredded chicken, depending on how you plan to serve it.
- If prepping to freeze to make later: Combine all of the ingredients in a zip top bag or freezer-safe container. Label and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to cook, transfer all the ingredients to your Instant Pot and proceed with the recipe starting at step 2.
All of the links on zenbelly.com are for information purposes, however some are affiliate links to books, products or services. Any sponsored posts are clearly labelled as being sponsored content. Some ads on this site are served by ad networks and the advertised products are not necessarily recommended by Zenbelly.