Happy New Year! Who wants a Paloma?
Still here? Good. Me, too. After eating way too much sugar over the holidays (per the usual) I am cleaning it up on the food front over here, but am sort of following my own thing. And in my own thing, there is the occasional cocktail.
Since it’s grapefruit season and I’m trying to avoid any added sugars, the Paloma was the clear choice. If you want a sweeter drink, feel free to add some simple syrup made with honey (equal parts honey and water).
(Yes, I know that alcohol basically turns to sugar. This is why the word occasional exists in the above paragraph.)
The Paloma can be made with tequila, mescal, or a combination of the two. I prefer the former, since I love a bit of smokiness to counter the sweet-tart grapefruit, but not so much that it overwhelms.
Fresh Grapefruit Paloma
- Yield: 1 cocktail
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 thin wedge grapefruit
- coarse salt (if you have smoked salt, adding a bit to your plain salt is a nice touch)
- 3/4 ounce mescal (or more tequila if you’re not into mescal or can’t find it)
- 1 ounce tequila blanco
- 2 ounces 1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice (or more if you’d like it fruiter)
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- club soda
- Run the grapefruit wedge around the rim of a high ball glass. Dip in salt.
- In the glass, combine the mescal, tequila, grapefruit juice and lime juice. Stir well.
- Add ice to fill the glass 3/4 of the way, and then top off with club soda. Garnish with the grapefruit wedge.
All of the links on zenbelly.com are for information purposes, however some are affiliate links to books, products or services. Any sponsored posts are clearly labelled as being sponsored content. Some ads on this site are served by ad networks and the advertised products are not necessarily recommended by Zenbelly.
Does this taste good without any alcohol as a mocktail? Are there any changes you would make without the alcohol?
Well without any alcohol it’s just grapefruit juice with a little club soda. So if you like grapefruit juice, it’s a great mock tail!