This recipe for Hot Cross Buns is an addition to the Everything Dough ebook that is available on this site. You will need the basic Pull Apart Rolls recipe from there to make these.
Hot Cross Buns
Ever since I created Everything Dough, I’ve been dreaming up more uses for it. There are 5 recipes included in the ebook: Pull Apart Dinner Rolls, Brioche Burger Buns, Cinnamon Rolls, Chocolate Babka, and Monkey Bread. In addition to those, the bread recipes in Paleo Soups and Stews are based on this recipe, and I was able to tweak the basic formula to make a Baguette and even a Bread Bowl.
It’s super versatile, is what I’m saying.
With Easter right around the corner, a lot of photos of Hot Cross Buns have been showing up in my feed, and I couldn’t help but notice how similar they look to a Pull Apart Roll. So I had to give it a shot with my Everything Dough!
Disclaimer: I am not a Hot Cross Buns expert by any means. I mean I just wrote a Jewish Cookbook, so clearly Easter recipes are not my strong suit. But after researching recipes, I hope that these fill that Hot Cross Bun void you may have been feeling since going grain-free!Print
Once you have the Everything Dough ebook, grain-free Hot Cross Buns are well within your reach!
Add to the dry:
- 1/2 teaspoon salt ((instead of 1 teaspoon))
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom ((optional))
Stir into the dough after mixing for 5 minutes:
- 1/3 cup raisins or currants ((I used golden raisins))
For the egg wash:
- 1 tablespoon egg white
- 1 tablespoon melted ghee or butter
- 1 teaspoon honey
For the icing:
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream or dairy-free milk of your choice (or use lemon juice for a lemony icing)
- Follow the instructions for the Pull Apart Dinner Rolls, adjusting the ingredients as stated above. Brush with the egg wash and allow to rise for at least 30 minutes before baking. (At this point, you can cover and refrigerate if you would like to bake the next day. Take out of the fridge one hour before baking)
- After baking, allow to cool completely before removing from the pan.
- Whisk together the sugar and cream. Transfer the sugar mixture into a small plastic bag and snip off the corner. Pipe the icing over buns and serve.
All of the links on zenbelly.com are for information purposes, however some are affiliate links to books, products or services. Any sponsored posts are clearly labelled as being sponsored content. Some ads on this site are served by ad networks and the advertised products are not necessarily recommended by Zenbelly.