It’s possible to make crispy sweet potato fries in the oven, you just need to know how. Too bad it’s top secret. Just kidding I’m telling you how in this post.
Yes- Super crispy sweet potato fries made in the oven are possible!
Is there anything sadder than a soggy sweet potato fry? I can tell you, being the not-so-proud owner of a craptastic oven, I am no stranger to the sadness. Since my profession for the past few years has put me in a wide variety of kitchens, I’ve gotten to see first hand the difference a quality oven can make. Let me tell ya, it’s a huge difference.
But let’s not “accidentally” break our sub-par ovens just yet, for there is a cheaper way to get crispy sweet potato fries (and roasted veggies, too!) All you need is a little extra starch, a zip top bag, and parchment paper.Print
Super Crispy Sweet Potato Fries – made in the oven.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (3-4 sweet potatoes, any variety or a combination)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder (for spicy fries, optional)
- 1 teaspoon of your favorite seasoning
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons avocado oil or light olive oil or melted animal fat such as lard, tallow or duck fat
salt (if using a seasoning blend that includes salt, taste the fries before salting)
- Preheat the oven to 475ºF. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and brush each with 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch fries.
- Toss in a zip top bag and add the arrowroot starch and chipotle or preferred seasoning. Close the bag and shake until the fries are all coated.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of the oil and close and shake the bag again.
- Arrange the fries amongst the 2 baking sheets in a single later, giving them as much room around them as possible. Sprinkle with salt, unless your seasoning blend already has it.
- Pop in the preheated oven for 8-9 minutes, until browned on the bottoms. Remove the pans, flip the fries and return to the oven, switching the location of the pans. Bake another 8-9 minutes, or until softened and browned. Season to taste with additional salt, if needed.
Keywords: sweet potato fries
All of the links on zenbelly.com are for information purposes, however some are affiliate links to books, products or services. Any sponsored posts are clearly labelled as being sponsored content. Some ads on this site are served by ad networks and the advertised products are not necessarily recommended by Zenbelly.