WINGS! I get excited when I remember that they’re a dinner option. Too often I forget, unless I’m thinking of what to make for the Super Bowl or some other big sportsing day. These Chili-Lime Wings are one of my favorite ways to make them.
My take: Why should we only eat wings when there are really good commercials er I mean a football game on TV? That’s silly. They’re cheap and delicious, and there are practically endless ways to prepare them.
Take this preparation, for example; The wings get crispy in the oven thanks to a blend that includes salt and tapioca starch, and then tossed in a super flavorful sauce that gets mixed together in about 45 seconds. (All credit goes to Predominantly Paleo for the tapioca starch idea) All in all, you’re looking at about 45 minutes total time with only 5 of that being active. So you’ll have more than enough time to throw together a salad or slaw to serve them with.
Since making these chili-lime wings and publishing the recipe, I’ve made, oh, about eleventy million wings (I told you, I’m a wing enthusiast!) In my quest for wing perfection, I’ve discovered another fun addition that helps crisp them up: baking soda.
This recipe will come out great as written but if you want to give them another boost: Add a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to the tapioca starch mixture.
The other thing I’ve changed up is a low to high heat method when I bake them: Starting at a low heat slowly renders some of the fat, helping to make the wings even crispier. Check out this post for more about that!
Tips for crispy baked wings:
- Dry your wings very well by patting them with paper towels
- Don’t crowd them – make sure there is space between them.
- Let them rest. They will be crispy when they come out of the oven. They will get crispier if you allow them to rest for 5 minutes. Bonus: you won’t burn the shit out of your mouth.
More recipes for the Big Game:
- The Very Best Queso (no srsly)
- Paleo Soft Pretzels
- Zenbelly Chili 2.0
- Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
- Instant Pot Ribs
Shake up wing night with these Chili Lime Wings!
for the wings:
- 1 rounded teaspoon salt
- 1 rounded teaspoon tapioca starch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 2 pounds chicken wings, separated into drumettes and wingettes (save the tips for broth!)
for the sauce:
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sriracha (or less if you want a milder heat)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Place a rack in a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, combine the salt, tapioca starch, ground ginger, coriander, and paprika.
- Add the wings and toss them, so they are all evenly coated with the salt and spice mixture.
- Arrange the wings on the rack, spacing them out as much as possible. Wash and dry the bowl, you’ll use it again.
- Roast for 20 minutes, and then flip and roast for another 20.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce: In a large bowl combine the fresh ginger, coconut aminos, honey, sriracha, lime zest, lime juice, and fish sauce.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, add the wings to the sauce and toss to coat. Use tongs to transfer the wings back to the rack, leaving any excess sauce in the bowl.
- Roast for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a servings platter and pour on any additional sauce. Garnish with lime zest.
Keywords: chicken wings, chili lime wings
All of the links on zenbelly.com are for information purposes, however some are affiliate links to books, products or services. Any sponsored posts are clearly labelled as being sponsored content. Some ads on this site are served by ad networks and the advertised products are not necessarily recommended by Zenbelly.